Tuesday, September 4, 2007

im humbled...
im humbled at the sight and smell of this place...this familiar place that sometimes seems unfamiliar...i'm in love...i'm in love with the generosity that overwhelms each kenyan's character and the joy that overflows in just a simple smile...

i've gotten to twirl on a dirt road under the open african sky...the most beautiful little girl was on my back as we tasted freedom...my heart was full that day...that walk for miles was the best walk i've ever had...

i'm a part of everyone's family here...and it feels good...


update:
i started work at wycliffe bible translators/bible translation and literacy...im working in their communications department--they've given me my own desk in an office...they want me to teach them about communication...what?

*beacon of hope hasnt started yet...
*doing a little work with compassion international...ran into some kids i saw two years ago...stepped foot on the same basketball court that owned me too :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember when you came home from your first trip to Kenya. Life had taken me East on the Gulf Coast to get pounded by hurricanes all summer, while you were worlds away in Kenya. I remember coming to see you in Temple and sitting on the bed in your room so humbled and moved by the pictures of the precious little ones I saw. When I close my eyes I can see their faces. I pray for them by face because I do not know their names. I'm so thrilled that you continue to live out your dream, your calling, your heart beat with the people of Kenya. I know God is using you to reach them. But, moreover, I know God is using them to talk to and touch you more than anything else. What a tremendous blessing to see the kids from your first African encounters. When I met you, my dear friend, this was a dream, you are living the dream that is so much bigger than your love for Africa or my love for China---or, our combined love of orphans. God is good and He is faithful! It truly is amazing. I miss you. I love you, and I'm praying! Take care. PS- Brink says hello...he even did a little scoot across the floor for ya!

kim s said...

DJ---how good it is to hear your heart on this blog...so free, so right, so right now!

my heart says the same that our voices sang two years ago at Nairobi Chapel...GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME - - ALL THE TIME GOD IS GOOD!

I maybe have to post the BBallers on my own blog in memory of the first but certainly not the last visit to the motherland.

Keep it coming friend. Hold a hand for me, until I get there....ks

steven said...

i get excited when i hear you describe things in depth. dinah i can envision your smile, not the one that's a product of my inappropriate jokes, but the one stemmed in you experiencing what your passionate about. i've got you and those around you in mind. thanks for being where your heart desires, it's inspiring.